History of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's

1950s

  • Co-sponsored Symphony Previews with the Junior Philharmonic Committee at the L.A. Philharmonic, and later at the Music Center, presented lectures preceding the afternoon concerts (1950).
  • Art Committee initiated exhibitions for public viewing at the Clubrooms in the Beverly Wilshire Hotel (1950-1960).
  • Services for the Blind, an offshoot of a local chapter of Recording For the Blind, Inc., was started by League members trained in Braille at the Veterans Hospital (1951)
  • In 1953, the League financed construction and maintenance of three soundproof Recording Booths for the Blind at the John C. Fremont Public Library. These were turned over to the community.
  • A new recording unit directed its activities to blind school children during 1957 and 1958. The unit recorded textbooks for the Frances Blend Blind and Sight-Saving Elementary School. Information Center for the Blind was founded in 1961 and was staffed by League volunteers until 1971 when it was turned over to INFO. Large print typewriters acquired with League funds enabled members to prepare textbooks for partially sighted high school students in 1964.
  • In 1954, A Girls’ Club was added to the existing Salvation Army Red Shield Youth Center. This addition included major financial responsibilities of the new building, program maintenance, staff salary and volunteer assistance.
  • The League undertook 6 spot projects involving 1 to 2 years financial or administrative support, a foster family day care program for the Los Angeles Children's Bureau; sponsored 30 YMCA campers who were juvenile sons of working mothers, a nursing scholarship to Childrens Hospital Los Angeles; a scholarship for a juvenile officer of the County of Los Angeles, a clinicianship for 2 years at the Speech-Hearing Clinic at USC (1957-1959).
  • Participated in a panel discussion with the graduate class in the School of Social Work at USC discussing "The Volunteer as a Community Resource" (1958).
  • Art Views was initiated with the help of the Los Angeles County Art Museum Association, provided free lectures in conjunction with major exhibitions (1958-1962).
  • The Larks, comprised of and directed by League members, trouped for mental patients, children patients in hospitals and senior homes; recorded 3 LP albums under RCA and Disney (1958-1976).
  • The fourth and sixth sections of the Bylaws were amended to include "Inc." to the corporate name to read Junior League of Los Angeles, Inc. (1959).
  • “Around the Town" was published as a directory of summer Activities available to children (1959-1967).


1960s

  • Twenty-three League members formed a Docent Group and trained 6th grade children. The Los Angeles County Museum of Art assumed this program by forming a Docent Council (1960-1962)
  • The Opportunity Open Door program began at L.A. State College and then at Pacoima Junior High School. It was designed to broaden the academic and cultural horizons of culturally deprived students and was later turned over to Pacoima Junior High School (1961-1972).
  • The City of Los Angeles and the League contracted for a Junior Arts Center and Gallery at Barnsdall Park, which was turned back to the City. League responsibilities included financial and volunteer support. Friends of the Junior Arts Center (FOJAC) was later formed as a support group (1964-1972).
  • The Artmobile, an outreach arts education program for public schools, housed exhibitions and used League docents to staff it. Funding help came from the Sears, Roebuck Foundation and was turned over to the Los Angeles City Board of Education (1964-1965).
  • League volunteers assisted teachers in a Teachers' Aide program and were trained for Junior Great Books; were instrumental in providing this enrichment program in public and parochial schools throughout L.A. County (1964-1967).
  • "Around the Town With Ease," a guide to greater Los Angeles for the disabled, was originally printed by the Automobile Club of Southern California. The 2nd and 3rd printing in 1974 and 1985 were printed by the courtesy of Times-Mirror Press. A 4th Edition was completed in 1991. This publication is free for the disabled when picked up at Junior League of Los Angeles Headquarters (1965-1966).
  • "Walking Tour of Historic Los Angeles" brochure in conjunction with Cultural Heritage Board was written by League members and distributed free (1966).
  • A Vision Screening program to test pre-school children for visual defects was undertaken in cooperation with the National Society for the Prevention of blindness (1966).
  • "Just the Answer" Gift Shop opened its doors in Brentwood. Donations, consignments, and handmade items provided a wide range of gifts, antiques, and decorative items. The shop was staffed by League members. Monies raised supported the programs and projects of the Junior League of Los Angeles (1966-1985).
  • The League established a Docent program at Monlux Science Center in the San Fernando Valley where docents gave slide lectures on conservation and tours of the facilities. Local schools took over this project (1969-1971). 
  • What began as Venice Alert became School Alert co-sponsored with Dr. Madeline Hunter of the University Elementary School UCLA 1974-1976. A classroom volunteer training package, called Aide-ing Education, was developed. This package, which consisted of ten films and a book, was later marketed worldwide through Dr. Hunter and UCLA (1969-1976).
  • Public conference on environmental pollution: "Our Disposable World" was co-sponsored by the League and the Rand Corporation (1969). 
  • League members undertook a many-faceted project at the L.A., County-USC Medical Center. Past efforts included work at the main admitting and emergency desks, Family Planning Center and staffing a Child Care Center formed and financed by the League in 1972 which provides an education program for healthy siblings of pediatric patients. This was turned over to CHARO (Community and Human Resources Agency) in June, 1976 (1969-1976).

1970s

  • "Yesterdays" lecture series on historic Los Angeles was given at the L.A. County Museum of Art. The League financed and administered the series (1970-1972).
  • First "Day in Sacramento" (1971).
  • JLLA joined forces with the Junior League of Long Beach to organize a docent marine biology program for children at Cabrillo Beach Marine Museum in San Pedro. In June of 1976, this project was turned over to the Cabrillo Museum Volunteers (1972-1976).
  • In co-sponsorship with the Drug Abuse Council of the Los Angeles Unified School District, the League trained volunteers to present a drug abuse program to parents of elementary school children (1972-1974).
  • The Junior League produced sound filmstrips about historical Los Angeles which were utilized by third and fourth grade students studying California history. Subjects covered were the La Brea Tarpits ("Trapped in the Tar") and the Los Angeles River (“The River that Disappeared") (1972-1974). 
  • The Performing Tree, co-sponsored with the Performing Arts Council of the Music Center and the Junior League in cooperation with the Los Angeles Unified School District, brings cultural performances to elementary and secondary schools with a series of music, theater, dance and opera utilizing paid professional performers. The project was the recipient of several large grants and service awards. In June of 1976, Performing Tree, Inc., a non-profit corporation was formed to carry on the work begun by the League (1972-1976).
  • Public conference on education "Schools: Challenge and Change" held at the Los Angeles Convention Center (1973).
  • Operation VD sponsored a public information campaign on venereal diseases in the Los Angeles area and produced public service announcements for both radio and television (1975-1976). 
  • Supportive Services for Families, a model treatment program utilizing trained volunteers working under the direction of a psychologist, worked with actual and potential child abuse and neglect families (1975-1978). 
  • Juvenile Justice Project worked with clients of the Department of Public Social Service providing supportive volunteer services to families in crisis (1975-1978). 
  • Art at Your Fingertips, a project in cooperation with the Palos Verdes Community Arts Center and the Palos Verdes School District, developed and packaged a volunteer art program for children (1976-1978).
  • The Alcoholism project, co-sponsored by the National Council on Alcoholism-Los Angeles, provided start-up activities for a Woman’s Coalition to address the needs of the women alcoholics including: a school program (now a separate project, “Alcohol Education for Young People"), and the Alcoholism Information Center, a downtown information and referral center for alcoholics and their families. Services of the Alcoholism Information Center will continue under the management of its Board of Directors (1976-1979). 
  • The General Phineas Banning Museum in Wilmington is the site of an historical interpretive program in cooperation with the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks, Friends of Banning Park, and the Port Admiral Society. The 19th century kitchen restored by a grant from the Norris Foundation, offers cooking demonstrations for groups touring the museum. School children participated in this 1880’s classroom experience (1976-1980).
  • A community education RAPE Conference was held in conjunction with the Santa Monica Hospital Rape Treatment Center. (1977).
  • "Yesterdays Children" a community conference on aging, co-sponsored with the Andrus School of Gerontology of USC, was held at the Convention Center (1978).
  • Initiated in 1978 as a three year task force, the Museum Satellite Exhibits project, co-sponsored by UCLA, provided a program of traveling museum exhibits from the Cultural History Museum to libraries, schools and hospitals in Los Angeles and Orange counties. Community volunteers will continue this work along with museum personnel (1978-1981).
  • Alcohol Education for Young People presented "Sunrise", an alcohol awareness program to fifth and sixth grade students throughout Los Angeles. In addition, the project offered training sessions in the Sunrise program to teachers, P.T.A.. members and other community volunteers (1979-1981). 
  • CAFAM, a project co-sponsored with the Craft and Folk Art Museum, trained members in docenting and community research techniques. Docents conducted lecture tours, developed brochures on museum exhibits for school age children and produced a docent manual for the Museum. Researchers documented folk artists for the Museum’s Multi-Media Library and held a folk arts forum to present the artists (1978-1980).
  • The Victim Assistance project was co-sponsored with the District Attorney’s office to aid victims of violent crime. Expansion to seven DA branch offices increased coverage for innocent victims in our county. A training manual was written by the V.A. Committee and was available for use by all victim advocate programs in the State (1978-1981). 
  • HALO, a project in gerontology, provided a greater understanding of the aging process by working with the elderly at the Nazareth House in West Los Angeles and by participating in a workshop training series. A task force developed a position statement advocating for response to special needs of the elderly (1979-1980).
  • Advocates for Parenting Education project formulated a Resource Data Bank of Parenting Education classes in Los Angeles County through a widespread public relations campaign by the JLLA and INFO offering this information to individual clients and professional agencies (1978).
  • Family Life Education developed program recommendations for Family Service of Los Angeles as a foundation for an ongoing agency outreach in the field of family life (1978).
  • Children's Bicentennial Map Committee developed a graphic guide to downtown and its historic architecture. For two years the committee gave docent tours to school children based on the map and promoted the map during the Los Angeles Bicentennial Celebration (1979-1982).
  • The Olive Stone Center, a senior day activity center co-sponsored by the Santa Monica-Westside Volunteer Bureau and the League, provides a supportive social environment and a program of activities to older adults who are at risk of isolation or premature institutionalization (1979-1982).